Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Strasbourg, the town that inspired a sausage

This is my last week in Europe and my focus is on getting everything cleaned, closed and sorted before I leave. Somehow the way the appointments are I managed to get in a free day and took the opportunity for a day trip. Not only is Strasbourg very close to Mannheim, it has been highly recommended to me as town worth visiting. France's 7th largest city, Strasbourg is the capital of the Alsace region in France, a region that is squished in between 3 countries, mountains and the Rhine river. All this pressure has not crushed the culture but rather forced out something quite unique that could define it as a separate country.

Strasbourg

When I arrived I knew nothing except there was a special clock that the city was famous for, its treasures are more than this but it is very impressive.

Astronomical Clock

The Astronomical Clock is found in the city's Cathedral, which is quite easy to find as it is right in the heart of the city and is 142 metres high. It is an impressive piece of Swiss craftsmanship that has a wondrous display of planetary movement and other measurements of time combined with a display of figurines that carry out a religious parade daily.

Strasbourg Museum Garden

A long history, the city was established by Romans wanting to make more wine and since has changed hands many times. A big attraction of the city is its old buildings particularly in the area known as 'Little France'. Why a city in France would call part of their city 'Little France' perplexes me but at least it is nice to look at.

Little France

The centre of Strasbourg is an island with canals running through parts of the city. The water cutting paths through the buildings gives the place a very different feel, very relaxing and very beautiful. It was in this area that I spent the last part of my day in drinking a beer outside a cafe while a band of buskers played some great music.

Where the day ended

At first when I saw the cathedral I began to think I was going to see just another city like so many others but when I left, I left thinking that this is place that really need more exploring to try all the unique culture that is on offer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home